Saturday, March 2, 2013

March Already?

I admit that it is very difficult to blog when not much new or exciting is happening.  It has been about 11 days since I last put fingers to keyboard.

The good news is that my health has been stabilizing nicely.  The meds are being fine tuned to make my blood viscosity (?) just right.  My blood pressure is down.  My heart rate is down.  I am down 15 pounds since the day I went into the hospital.  There is no word yet on the next phase of my treatment for A-Fib, the shock treatment.  That should be interesting and will give me something to write about.

I am adapting to life without bacon, butter or booze.  I am even starting to eat some fresh fruits and vegetables (gasp), not saying I actually like them, but I am finding grapes, bananas and cantaloupe to be tolerable.  I will know I have gone over to the dark side when I eat an apple or a pear.  I decided my once a month top sirloin steak would be consumed on the first day of each month, so last night I got my eight ounces of medium rare sirloin.  It was very yummy. My new beverage of choice is CranApple Juice on the rocks with Club Soda.  Very refreshing and alcohol free.

Life here has been really routine since my last post.  A little excitement yesterday when I noticed a swarm of bees/hornets around the right rear corner of the camper.  I have wasted over 2 spray cans of various pest sprays to little avail.  I checked under the camper and I don’t see anything that would attract them.  The guy at the hardware store suggested spraying them with hot, soapy water.  It is supposed to “dampen” their ability to fly, encouraging them to go somewhere else.  Late this afternoon, I hit them with more hornet/wasp insect spray and the hot soapy water.  They seemed to diminish in number by the time I was through grilling dinner.  We will see if they are back in the morning.

We have started making a short run to the open desert about 2 miles from our location to let the dogs run off leash.  It is a popular off roading area so we have to keep an eye out for ATV’s and motorcycles zipping by.

Our new friends, Jim and Linda Schrankel came by for a visit and we went out to dinner at the Foothills Eatery.  They serve typical American comfort food.  Nothing special, but not bad; and the service is good.  Jim and Linda were camp hosts at Tollbridge County Park Campground near Hood River, Oregon last year and they are the ones who referred us to the County Manager, ending up in our getting the job for most of August, all of September and most of October.

The weather is warming up.  It was in the high 80’s today.  So far we have resisted running the AC since we are paying for metered electricity.  The nights are warmer also, resulting in less propane use for the furnace.

Here are the end of the month full timing budget numbers for February:

 

Camping – $495.00  The monthly rate at our RV Park in Yuma 

Diesel Fuel when pulling – $0.00

Truck Service/Repairs – $0.00

RV  Repairs/Service – $80.00  (wash RV and truck; and steam clean RV Carpets, including tips) 

Generator Gas/Propane - $29.57(all propane)

Metered Electricity – $68.58

Satellite TV/Radio – $103.00

Campground Pet Fees – $0.00

Laundry Card – $20.00

Total = $796.15

Thanks for stopping by!

2 comments:

Merikay said...

Your budget is impressive. A lot less than what we spend on the house each month. Looking forward to doing the same someday.

owensontheroad said...

Even though you aren't a big fruit lover, your numbers are great. Keep up the good work!