Thursday, July 12, 2012

Yankton, SD and David City, NE

Yankton is my home town.  I grew up on a farm 12 miles east of town near the really small town of Mission Hill, SD.  Yankton today has a population of about 13,000. When I lived there in the ‘50’s it was about 10,000.  I joined the Army at 17, returned to Yankton at age 20 and celebrated my 21st birthday in town.  At that time I realized that Yankton was a dead end for me and I got in my car and headed for Los Angeles.  I remember to this day arriving near LA on the San Bernardino Freeway on Labor Day in stop and go traffic and I was thinking to myself  “all these people around me and not one of them is going to call my mom and tell her what I am doing”.  What a feeling of freedom that was.

I have two brothers, Larry and Danny, who stayed in town their whole lives.  These are brothers from my mothers side of the family, so when we go to the reunion for my father’s side of the family in Colome, SD, we always drive down to Yankton and stay at Chief White Crane State Park campground on the Missouri River so I visit with Larry and Danny.  Larry and I usually end up fishing for 3 days straight; not catching much but a suntan and lots of small fish.  Although, I did catch a nice catfish last summer and ended up with two keeper size striped bass this trip.  Rosie breaded and fried the filets and they were yummy good.  Here are some pictures from the Yankton trip:

IMG_5440  IMG_5428

Park Entrance                                                           Missouri River near the campground

IMG_5447  IMG_5452 

Our Site.                                                                   Lake Yankton from our site at sunset.

DSCF1003  DSCF1008

A fishing dock near downtown Yankton                 Brother Larry with a small striped bass.

The prices at Chief White Crane are reasonable: $14 for basic site; $18 for site with 30/50 amp electric and $20 for a Premium Site (Electric site on the water front).  I take the Premium Site so I can get a clear southern view for my satellite dish.  The park is so wooded you cannot get a decent satellite shot except on the water’s edge.

After 4 nights it was time to head south to Omaha, NE to see my sister Marla who has lived in Omaha most of her adult life.  On the way to Omaha, I had a work assignment in David City, NE.  A little internet research showed that the City Park in David City had a small RV section with water and electric hookups for $10 a night.  We were really impressed with the Park on our arrival and doubly pleased to learn that electric hook ups included a 50 amp circuit.  Here are some pictures of the park:

IMG_5481  IMG_5479IMG_5485  IMG_5478

Tomorrow we can take our sweet time driving the 50 or so miles to Omaha.

Thanks for stopping by.

1 comment:

Jim and Judy said...

Looks like life is goood!