Friday, April 27, 2012

What Happened To Spring

The camper was cool this morning.  Checking the indoor/outdoor thermometer revealed 38 degrees outside and 59 degrees inside.  Brrrr!  Turned on the heater fast, but it took awhile to get up to 66 or so inside the camper.  One of the propane tanks went dry and I wasn't too sure how full the other tank was; so off to the propane company I go.  Took the pooches for a ride; they love going for a ride.  Coming back into the RV Park I observed something that I had never seen or heard of; a magpie and a squirrel appeared to be playing together.  The magpie was flying just above and behind the squirrel.  When the squirrel went up a tree, the magpie followed.  I thought maybe the magpie was attacking the squirrel, but they continued this activity for several minutes and it sure looked like "play" to me.  Very weird.

The last of the boxes were unloaded from the car and the truck.  Much sorting followed with three options; keep, donate or trash.  Well, it is finally finished.  We probably added another 50 lbs. to our overweight status.  Oh well!  We will thin things out over time, hopefully not too much time.

Not much excitement today after the drama yesterday.  Did some shopping at Albertsons and Wal-Mart.  Picked up a fire safe for valuable papers.  Not good for security since it has a handle, weighs only about 15 lbs and can't be bolted to something (wouldn't know where to bolt it anyway).  So if we ever have a fire; the will, vehicle titles, birth certificates, etc. should survive.

Some of our friends are asking how we feel, if we have any regrets, etc.  Frankly, what I am feeling is a culmination of a dream; the realization of an objective.   Walking out of the stick and siding home was a "freeing" experience; like a huge burden had been lifted from my shoulders.  I often think that although our home is smaller, our yard is bigger and I don't have to mow, edge, weed, spray or feed any of it.  Life is good.

5 comments:

Rick and Kathy Rousseau said...

People are brain washed into the old dream that you have to own a big fancy house and own two and a half vehicles per family. Your supposed to work until you drop.

NOT!

They would ask us if we had any regrets after selling the house. They don't believe that they are money pits that stop you from enjoying life they way you want to.

Be Safe and Enjoy!

It's about time.

Jim Sathe said...

Rick and Kathy,

I had that dream in my 20's and 30's. It started to wear off in my 50's and when I hit 60 I had a very different perspective on "stuff". We still have to close on Monday, then a few weeks wrapping up loose ends here and we are "off to see the world", at least the western USA.

owensontheroad said...

We've been living in our RV for 7 months, looking out the window at our flooded out house. I don't miss it a bit!

Jim Sathe said...

Laurie and George,

Ouch! Sounds like an expensive mess to clean up. I am looking to our seventh month in the RV.

TexCyn said...

I'd like to add a safe to my RV. But I want one bolted down. Been looking for a spot, but in only 22' of living space, it's very limiting.